Monday, September 17, 2007

The Radio Anti-Christ


I just got a hold of a new track off of Jens Lekman's upcoming album that everyone needs to take their hard earned pennies and buy.

This guy is a smile a minute. I got to see him at Pitchfork. Nothing but good times. I mean how you gonna listen to a song about bingo night and not get a little pep in your step?

And yet there is no way you're going to find him on today's radio. The tempo changes. He hits some crazy notes. It's outside the box. It doesn't plod along at 132 with every vocal note stacked 12 times, tuned, and buried under the harmonies. There's a very human quality to his music. Radio doesn't like that. Now who knows, in 20 years radio might be playing stuff like this, but I doubt it. I think it'll be dead in 10.

No comments: