Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Who's That Knocking On the Door? Bad Air in Your Lungs

Guess what people of Nashville, bad air is here. Buried in the Tennessean is an update talking about the air quality in Nashville for tomorrow, and yet I believe that most people reading it either don't understand what they're reading or don't believe it.

Bad air.

The people in the laboratories are saying if you want to stay healthy, avoid going outside. The same people that make all those drugs you take are saying your kids should stay indoors.

The usual idiots talk about driving their SUVs tomorrow with the air cranked, and I sit there and wonder why a person would say something like that. You wouldn't go stick your head in the chimney of a coal burning plant, or sit in your garage with your car running would you?

Well, I can tell you, I wouldn't because the emissions from the aforementioned are bad for my health. I think that much is common sense now. That does get me thinking though, how does this effect the the world as a whole?

I am no scientist, so know the realizations I'm about to say are personal ones that I've come to through my education at Nashville public schools and what I've researched through places like the US National Assessment of Climate Change and The New Scientist.

We breathe oxygen to survive. Oxygen comes from things such as trees and sea algae. The reason the oxygen that is produced does not escape into space is because there is a protective layer of atmosphere that keeps all the stuff on Earth, good or bad, on Earth. The Earth is like a big garage, so I don't want to pump a bunch of unhealthy stuff into it. I believe that I am a product and inhabitant of the planet Earth. If the above is bad for my health, I believe that it is bad for most living things on Earth.

Plants such as trees, consume carbon dioxide and convert it into oxygen that is in turn consumed by humans which in turn convert that O2 into CO2 etc etc. If you take away trees, the things that convert the CO2 into breathable air, through deforestation at the same time you increase CO2 production through power plant emissions and car emissions you have interrupted the natural (dare I say it God given) balance. That sounds bad to me.

Now, add that to water pollution that kills sea algae and holes in our atmosphere that cause the Earth to bake from increased solar radiation absorption, and it seems to me we have a huge fucking problem Houston.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.